Spring onions are available all year round.
Storage and Handling
Store in the crisper of the refrigerator. Handle all fresh produce with care and wash before eating.
Spring onions and chives are recorded in Chinese history from around 2000BC.
- Also known as scallions or green onions, spring onions are milder than onions making them ideal for eating raw
- Along with onions and shallots, spring onions are a member of the allium family
- The green tops of spring onions can be used like chives
- Plant in July to September and again in autumn
- Spring onions can be grown year-round in pots in most parts of New Zealand
Spring Onions are a good source of folate and a source of dietary fibre and vitamin C.
You will find the full Nutrition Information Panel on the New Zealand Food Composition Data website. This website is owned jointly by Plant & Food Research and the Manatū Hauora Ministry of Health. This website holds the most comprehensive collection of high-quality nutrient data for New Zealand foods. The Database is managed and maintained by dedicated Plant & Food Research staff.